Wednesday, August 13, 2008

MDFL 2008: Playoff Setup

Two divisions and two wild-card teams is on the table. Discuss options here including seeding, byes, etc.:
Next week, I will add an option to vote on this issue. It will link to a poll on the MDFL web site on Sportsline.

Vote for the number of playoff team here

Vote for the playoff setup here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 divisions

4 teams make the playoffs

Each division winner makes the playoffs based on W-L record

Next two teams determined by breakdown, not power ranking. This is a concession to those that want W-L record de-emphasized.

Anonymous said...

Ramble on....

I think we need to determine how many teams make playoff first and foremost...I am inherently against 60% of the league making the playoffs.....I have yet to hear from anyone supporting the 2 divisions/same as last year format what to do if one or both of the division winners are not a top 6 powerrank team.......does that mean the 5th and 6th powerranked team would not make the playoffs and the 7th and 8th ranked teams would...this could happen especially in a year where mediocrity took place and especially with a 2 division format where a stronger division knocked each other off in record etc......If we are going with 6 playoff teams....vote to be determined.....then don't they have to be determined by powerrank and seeded that way....I think this division winner thing by a different system (record) than the other playoff teams (powerrank), the payouts, seeding but automatic bids is what is throwing me off. Why is winning a division using the narrowest of measure (record) considered so special with the payouts, auto bids, and knowing that 1 division could be considerably weaker than another (like last year)?

I guess what I am saying is that I want 4 teams, no divisions, Powerank determines playoff seeding...I guarantee in weeks12-13 there will be 6-7 teams vying for those 4 spots.... This system last year would have led to the top 4 poweranked teams to get into the playoffs (2 of which were division winners), all 4 of which were top 4 in breakdown, and scoring....again, the 4 best teams get in....the system we used last year potentially lets in some some dogshit team to knock teams off in the playoffs... like Sku's team which could only manage 15.5 powerrank pts yet almost knocked off the highest scoring team in the league (Stark)....I mean is that what we want as a league....water down the regular season (but still give huge payout based upon record) and then have cidarella dogshit teams make a run at it when they were in the bottom half during the regular season. Without that extra week of playoffs I would have won it.....sum bitches.

Anonymous said...

Fewer than half the league making the playoffs has to be the rule. As Red said, we can't have 60% of the league in the playoffs. The two division winners should go and then the top 2 ranked by the power rankings regardless of division. This way has worked out the best in my experience...

Unknown said...

I am not worthy to comment.
I am Dogshit.

Anonymous said...

I still favor the 6 team playoff system as I think it will provide more excitement. However, will go along with whatever the vote decides.

The playoff spots (whether 4 or 6) should be determined by power rankings only. Power rankings already take win-loss into consideration. Points scored and breakdowns should count as much as win-loss because they are a better reflection of how good your team was. And you aren't penelized as much for being in a better division.

Division winners are simply the team with the highest power rank in the division.

Anonymous said...

I support Starky's post entirely with 4 teams though....Powerank is the fairest and most complete scoring system and helps dampen the effect of 2 divisions since Breakdown and total pts is against the entire league.......So I guess if we have 2 divisions and use Powerank then its pretty straight forward...

Division winners (by Powerank) go to playoffs.....

Then whether 4 or 6 teams then the next 2 (if 4) or next 4 (if 6) go to the playoffs. Seeding done by powerank.

Joe I would essentially Pose 3 questions to get to the playoff format.

Question 1: How many divisions.
Question 2: How many Playoff teams.
Question 3: Playoff Criteria: Powerank or Hybrid